For a greener environment in the Cook Islands – Environmentally friendly Rarotonga Resort accommodation
We are committed to finding ways in which we can reduce our impact on the environment. At Makayla Palms we are putting in place initiatives to conserve energy and be eco friendly and ‘green’ so that this stunning island of Rarotonga retains its natural beauty and harmony of both land and sea.
Our Rarotonga Resort policy:
- Minimise waste by evaluating operations and ensuring they are as efficient as possible.
- Minimise the use of power, recycling and green waste by actively promoting these to our guests.
- Source, promote and purchase a range of products with a lower environmental impact, especially cleaning products.
- Keep energy usage low – for example making use of low energy light bulbs.
- Using solar energy for heating water thus reducing the power usage. Not only does it help us, but also reduces the diesel use by the local power company. Boosters on timers also reduce energy consumption.
- Recycle all tins, glass, plastic and kitchen waste.
- Composting wet waste and garden clippings.
- Fresh water is collected from the water intakes in the mountains, which then passes through our UV filtration system, making all water in the villas perfectly safe to drink and use for our guests.
- Ensuring no grey water is released directly into the lagoon.
- Have louvre windows and stainless steel insect screens in all villas allowing natural air-flow – reducing the need for air conditioning.
- Regularly maintain air conditioning thus keeping them energy efficient and using less power.
- Donate linen and goods being replaced to the local RSPCA shop/local fundraisers.
- Ensure compliance with all applicable Cook Island laws and regulations.